Here’s a colorful bulgur salad that’s made with sweet cherry tomatoes, cool cucumbers and fresh baby spinach. Bulgur is a chewy grain with a mild nutty flavor. I’m always surprised that bulgur isn’t extremely popular – it’s a whole wheat grain, it has a wonderful taste, it’s high in fiber and it’s very filling.
This is an easy salad to put together. While the bulgur is cooking, you prep and dice the other ingredients so everything is ready to be tossed together once the bulgur is done and has cooled slightly. Add some walnuts, red onion, feta and a simple red wine vinaigrette and you’re done.
A couple of notes:
I used Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Bulgur Wheat. It takes about 14 minutes to cook on the stove top. I don’t use the type of bulgur that you just pour hot water on and then let it sit for a half an hour – it’s too bland. Use the type of bulgur that you need to cook on the stove top.
Once the bulgur has cooked, turn it out onto a cookie sheet to cool slightly – about 5 minutes.
Soak the slice of red onion in water for a couple of minutes before mincing – this will reduce the raw onion flavor.
If you want to make a vegan version – omit the feta cheese and add kalamata olives instead.
This salad holds up well in the refrigerator overnight. So if you make it for dinner, make extra so you can have it for lunch the next day.
|Bulgur Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber and Spinach|| |
- 1 cup of dry bulgur - cooked as per package instructions.
- 1 bouillon cube
- 4 cups baby spinach - about half a 6 oz bag - roughly chopped
- 1½ cups cherry tomates - sliced in half or quarters depending on size
- 1 cucumber - peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tbs red onion - minced
- 2 oz feta - diced
- ½ cups or 1 large handful of walnut pieces
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic put through a press
- 8 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- Cook bulgur according to package instructions - add bouillon cube to the water before cooking.
- While bulgur cooks, roughly chop the spinach into small pieces - add to a large bowl.
- Dice the cucumber, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and mince the onions. Add all to the large bowl of chopped spinach.
- When bulgur finishes cooking, turn out onto a cookie sheet to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic and black pepper.
- Add cooled bulgur to the bowl with the vegetables and toss. Add walnuts and dressing and toss. Add feta and toss gently so feta doesn't not fall apart.