This is a satisfying, nutty flavored salad using farro with cherry tomatoes, spinach and shaved parmesan. It’s tossed with some minced red onion, crunchy walnuts and a red wine vinaigrette with a garlicky kick. Farro is a hearty, chewy whole grain that has a nutty taste and is very filling.
I’ve kind of missed out on farro since it’s been very hard to find at the supermarket. But recently Trader Joe’s started carrying a great line of par-cooked grains and it includes farro. So now it’s not only easy to buy but it’s also easy to cook – it only takes 10 minutes vs. 30 to 40 minutes for regular farro.
This is a simple dish that works well as a main salad or as a side salad. It comes together quickly if you’re using par-cooked farro. This salad is also a great base – so if you have anything that you want to use up in the fridge then go ahead and add it in – some cucumbers, olives or roasted red peppers would all be great additions.
I love it when you find something new that you can add to the dinner and lunch rotation – and I’m going to be using farro a lot more in my recipes. I love the chewy texture and nutty flavor of farro. I’m planning on trying different farro salads in the future, as well as farro risotto, farro casserole and much more. I’ll keep you posted.
A couple of notes:
I used Trader Joe’s farro that is par-cooked. It only took 10 minutes to cook and I cooked it like I would cook pasta – in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Please cook the farro you buy as per the package instructions – if it’s not par-cooked it will take longer to cook.
This recipe holds up well in the fridge – so make some for dinner and use the leftovers for lunch the next day.
For the shaved parmesan, use a vegetable peeler to thinly shave off slices of parmesan. If you don’t have parmesan then try using some feta cheese instead.
For a vegan version of this salad, switch out the cheese for olives.
If you soak your red onion in a little cold water before mincing, it will remove some of the harsh raw onion taste.
|Farro with Cherry Tomatoes, Spinach and Shaved Parmesan|| |
- 1½ cups of uncooked farro - I used Trader Joe's 10 minute farro
- 1 veggie bouillon cube.
- 1½ cups of cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
- 4 cups of baby spinach - roughly chopped
- ½ cup of walnut pieces
- ⅓ to ½ cup of shaved parmesan
- 2 tbs minced red onion
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove - minced or put through a garlic press
- 8 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- pinch of salt
- Cook farro as per package instructions. Add one veggie bouillon cube to the water.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to a large salad bowl.
- Roughly chop freshly washed spinach and add to the salad bowl.
- Mince red onion and add to the salad bowl.
- Add walnuts to the salad bowl.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin slices of parmesan cheese and set aside.
- For vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, black pepper and salt.
- When farro is ready, drain, rinse under cool water and allow to drain thoroughly.
- Add farro to the salad bowl with other ingredients and toss with dressing. Add parmesan and gently toss to combine.