Graham cracker toffee is absolutely addictive and so easy to make. It’s crunchy, buttery, chocolately, nutty and sugary all at the same time. It’s the perfect holiday treat to share with family and friends.
You only need 5 ingredients to make this – graham crackers, brown sugar, butter, chocolate and pecans.
You start by lining a pan snugly with graham crackers. Next, bring the brown sugar and butter to a soft, bubbly boil in a saucepan. Pour the brown sugar and butter mixture over the top of the graham crackers and pop it in the oven for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle it with the chopped chocolate. After a minute or two the chocolate will melt – you’ll just need to smooth the chocolate with the back of a spoon so it covers the graham crackers completely. Then sprinkle on the nuts and pop the pan in the fridge for 1 hour until the graham cracker toffee is cool and firm.
This recipe is very flexible – if you don’t like dark chocolate, then you can use milk chocolate. Not a nut fan, then try crushed candy canes or even mini M&Ms.
With all the holiday craziness, this is an easy holiday treat to whip up for family, friends, co-workers or neighbors.
If you’re a regular reader, you may have noticed that Green Valley Kitchen looks a little different. After almost two years of blogging, I decide to treat myself to a custom blog design. After a lot of searching, I came across Lindsay Humes’ site – White Oak Creative and loved her sense of style and design. Working with Lindsay has been such a wonderful experience. She took all my thoughts and ideas and turned them into everything I wanted – a clean, modern blog design. Lindsay has given me a great new logo, a fancy slider on my home page and updated my site with a fresh and cohesive look. Thank you, Lindsay, for all the great work that you did.
I want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday this season!
|Graham Cracker Toffee|| |
- Graham crackers - about 10 crackers - enough to line a 9 x 13 pan.
- 2 sticks of salted butter
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 - 3.5 oz dark chocolate bar - coarsely chopped - I used Godiva chocolate.
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the graham crackers snugly to fit the bottom of the pan in one single layer. You may need to cut up a few crackers to fit the sides or bottom.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and bring to a low boil. Let it continue to boil for 3 to 4 minutes. For the last minute, stir the brown sugar and butter to combine.
- Pour the hot brown sugar and butter mixture over the graham crackers. Spread the mixture evenly over all the graham crackers with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While the graham crackers are baking, chop the chocolate and the pecans.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate over the top of graham crackers and the brown sugar/butter sauce. Wait two minutes for the chocolate to melt and then spread the melted chocolate evenly over the graham crackers with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with nuts and place in the fridge to cool/firm up for 1 hour.
- Once the graham cracker toffee is firm, break into individual sized pieces.
Please be careful stirring the hot butter and brown sugar - it's really hot and you don't want any splatters.
When washing the saucepan - use hot water. This will make cleanup much easier than using cold water (which will harden any brown sugar/butter sauce left in the pan).