We just had a rainy, blustery spell of weather here in Los Angeles – and it was the perfect kind of weather to make soup. This lentil and quinoa soup is a hearty, filling soup. It has a double punch of protein from the lentils and quinoa and it full of healthy vegetables.
Lentils are little nutritional powerhouses – full of protein and fiber. By adding quinoa to the mix you’re really upping the protein power of this soup. This healthy, nourishing soup is packed with vegetables as well – it has onions, celery, carrots, garlic, tomatoes and swiss chard.
I used french lentils in the soup. I like them because they retain their shape better than regular lentils. French lentils used to be difficult to find but these days you can find them pretty much anywhere – I bought mine at Target of all places. If you can’t find french lentils, regular brown lentils will work just as well.
A couple of notes:
This is a really thick soup – which is the way I like it. If you want your soup to be a bit more soupy then puree two cups of the soup in a blender and add it back into the pot.
While prepping the swiss chard – remove the complete stem by cutting the off the leafy part of the swiss chard. You’ll just be using the leaf part in this soup (not the stem). If you’re not a fan of swiss chard you can easily substitute spinach or kale.
Make sure to pick through your lentils before adding them to the soup pot – check for any small stones. Also, give your lentils and the quinoa a quick rinse before adding to the pot.
|Lentil and Quinoa Soup|| |
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery - diced
- 2 large carrots - diced. I used 4 small carrots in this recipe.
- 2 cloves of garlic - put through a press or minced.
- 8 twists of black pepper
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin - I used turkish cumin
- ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of french lentils
- ½ cup of quinoa - I used red quinoa
- 15 oz can of chopped tomatoes - I used petite diced tomatoes
- 7 cups of water
- 2 veggie bouillon cubes
- 3 leaves of swiss chard - discard stems and roughly chop leafy greens
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil and onions and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add celery, carrots, garlic and black pepper to soup pot and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add thyme, cumin and red pepper flakes to soup pot and cook for 1 minute stirring to combine flavors.
- Rinse french lentils and quinoa before adding to the pot.
- Add french lentils and quinoa to the soup pot.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (and juices) to the soup pot.
- Add water and bouillon cubes to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and let the soup simmer for 35 minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped swiss chard to the soup and simmer for 15 additional minutes.
- Serves 4 to 6.