With the weather heating up, this is an easy, tasty sandwich perfect for summer alfresco dining. This open faced mediterranean pita sandwich is kind of like eating a salad with pita and hummus – all at the same time. You start by topping a fresh pita with a little hummus and pesto. Next, layer on baby spinach, sweet cherry tomatoes, sliced kalamata olives, salty feta and creamy avocados. This tasty combination of mediterranean ingredients makes a great filling – just fold the pita in half (like a taco) and you’re ready to eat.
I like pita bread but I seem to have difficulty splitting and stuffing it for a sandwich. It always seem to break apart and I find it hard to evenly distribute the ingredients in the pita. Eating a pita open faced solves these problems. You just layer on your ingredients and then fold in half and eat.
I made a pesto using spinach and olives, to echo the ingredients in the sandwich. The pesto is layered over the hummus and makes a flavorful spread that is the base of your sandwich. To finish the sandwich you layer the rest of the ingredients over the hummus and pesto.
It’s important to use soft, fresh pita for this sandwich – which will be flexible and easy to fold in half. You could also use flat bread or naan, which are becoming easier to find at the supermarkets these days.
|Open faced mediterranean pita sandwich|| |
- 2 pita breads
- 4 tbs hummus
- 2 tbs pesto - see ingredients below for homemade pesto
- ½ cup baby spinach - roughly chopped
- 8 to 10 cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
- 8 to 10 kalamata olives - roughly chopped
- 3 tbs feta - crumbled
- ½ avocado - diced
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 tbs pignoli nuts
- 1 small garlic clove - peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- 6 kalamata olives
- 6 twists of fresh pepper from a pepper mill.
- Make fresh pesto by blending all ingredients in a food processor. I used a small/mini food processor.
- Spread hummus then pesto on each pita. You are not opening/splitting the pita, you are spreading the ingredients on one side of the pita.
- Layer spinach, cherry tomates, olives, feta and avocado on top of each pita.
- To eat, fold in half and enjoy.