Today is officially Fall but you won’t know that in blazing hot Los Angeles. So I am making one last easy summer salad before I begin thinking about soups or casseroles. This quinoa salad with corn, feta and walnuts is a fresh, healthy salad. The corn is sautéed with a little garlic to bring out it’s sweetness, then tossed with peppery arugula, red quinoa, salty feta and crunchy walnuts. Add a simple white wine vinaigrette and you’re done.
As mentioned in one of my previous recipes, I’ve been keeping cooked quinoa in the fridge to add to meals throughout the week. This is a great time saving technique to add some protein to a salad or a wrap or some soup. Just add some of the quinoa to whatever you’re making. If you have cooked quinoa on hand you can put this salad together in 15 minutes.
All the flavors in this salad worked really well together – this is the kind of salad I could eat all week and not get bored with.
Hopefully, the weather here will change soon so I can start thinking about fall recipes but for now this salad is the way to go – an easy, healthy salad using the last of summer’s sweet corn.
|Quinoa Salad with Corn, Feta and Walnuts|| |
- 3 ears of corn - kernels removed from cob - about 1½ cups
- 1 small garlic clove - minced
- ½ tbs olive oil
- 3 cups of baby arugula - roughly chopped
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa will equal 1½ cups cooked quinoa). I used red quinoa.
- 2 oz feta cheese - diced
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup red onion - minced
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- 8 twists of pepper from a pepper mill
- Pinch of salt
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions. Let cool slightly when done.
- Cut corn from the cobs with a sharp small knife.
- In a saute pan, heat ½ tbs oil, add corn kernels and minced garlic. Saute for 2 minutes over medium heat - stirring occasionally so corn does not burn. Let cool and prep other ingredients.
- Roughly chop the arugula and add to a bowl.
- Add diced feta, walnuts and diced red onion to the bowl.
- Add corn and quinoa to bowl.
- Make dressing by whisking all ingredients together and toss over salad.
You want to let the quinoa cool slightly when it's done. A quick way to cool it down is to spread it out on a baking sheet.