It’s hot here in Los Angeles – it’s going to be in the 90s all week – and my AC is broken. Yeah old houses! I was originally planning on making this salad with bulgar but due to the broken AC situation I did not want to have the stove burner on for 15 minutes (further heating up the house). So I made a greek salad with couscous instead. I tweaked a few things so this isn’t a traditional greek salad. I added baby greens instead of romaine lettuce. And I added couscous which made the salad more filling. It was really easy and quick to put together and the perfect salad for a hot day.
A couple of notes:
Not much to say, since this salad is so easy to put together. The only thing is to try and make the chopped tomato, cucumber and feta pieces all roughly the same size.
Also, I haven’t added the dressing to the second photo since I was bringing the salad to work for lunch and it was early in the morning when I took the photo. This salad is better dressed right before serving – so if you’re bringing it to work or to a pot luck wait to add the dressing until you’re just about to eat it.
Coming up this week:
I’m planning on making a tomato tart but it greatly depends on if the AC gets fixed. So there may or may not be a tomato tart in the next day or so. I hope there will be because that means the AC will be fixed!Print
Greek Salad with Couscous
A delicious greek salad with couscous. Quick and easy to make and great for a hot day.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous – cook according to package instructions
- 1/4 cube of bouillon – add to the water that you cook the couscous in
- 2 cups baby greens – I used a baby kale and spinach mix
- 1 large tomato – diced
- 1/2 cucumber – peeled, seeded and diced
- 10 black olives – sliced
- 2 oz feta cheese – cubed
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- 2 tbs red onion – finely chopped
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 8 twists of black pepper – from a pepper mill
- Cook couscous as per package instructions. Add 1/4 cube of bouillon to the water.
- Let couscous cool for 10 minutes with lid on and then stir with a fork to fluff up couscous.
- Wash baby greens and give a rough chop – add to a bowl.
- Chop tomato, cucumber and feta in to similar size pieces – add to the bowl.
- Add sliced olives, finely chopped red onion and almonds to the bowl.
- Add cooled couscous to the bowl and toss all ingredients.
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to combine.