Baked Tortellini (Easy and Cheesy!)
This baked cheese tortellini is easy to make and a family favorite. Fresh tortellini is baked in tomato sauce with lots of cheese and veggies to make a hearty vegetarian casserole perfect for a busy night.
- Author: Geraldine
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Cuisine: American
- 1 10 oz package of fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 medium sized zucchini – about 2 cups – diced into quarters
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 packed cups of baby spinach
- 1 25 oz jar of tomato sauce – I used the Silver Palate brand marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup of ricotta
- 2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini as per the package instructions. Drain when done.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil to a large sauté pan. Add zucchini, garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add half the spinach to the pan and sauté until wilted. Add the rest of the spinach and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Add tomato sauce to a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese and the ricotta to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked veggies and cooked tortellini to the tomato sauce in the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add tortellini mixture to baking dish and smooth down top with a wooden spoon.
- Add mozzarella to the top of the tortellini mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and melted. If top is not golden brown after 30 minutes, turn on broiler and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with a little fresh basil or parsley to garnish.
- I used a 10 by 8 baking dish that was 2 inches deep.
- This is a great make-ahead recipe. You can assemble this recipe in a casserole dish a day or so before and store it in the fridge tightly wrapped in tin foil until ready to bake. When ready to bake, remember to remove the tin foil.
- This recipe freezes well.
- If the top isn’t a golden brown once the casserole is cooked then you can put it under the broiler for 60 seconds or so – just watch it closely to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please come back and leave a comment and rating. I’d love to hear from you!
- Nutritional information is generated from an online nutritional calculator. This information is provided as a courtesy only and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. Ingredients can vary and Green Valley Kitchen makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6
- Calories: 353
- Fat: 16.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 29.2g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Keywords: Baked Tortellini, Family Casserole, Vegetarian Casserole