I love a recipe where you can use the leftovers in different ways. This rice and black bean casserole is one of those recipes. Serve it for dinner and then, the next day, wrap it up in a burrito with some avocado and lettuce. Or use it as the filling for a quesadilla by adding a bit more cheese (yeah cheese!) and some salsa. Or chop it up and toss it with some lettuce and dressing as a burrito bowl.
This is a colorful casserole that is packed with veggies – you’ve got black beans, spinach, tomatoes, corn, scallions and zucchini. You can add anything you like. This is a “use it up” casserole – have some extra veggies on hand that you don’t know what to do with then just chop them up and add them in. This casserole is also an excellent way to use up any leftover rice you may have on hand.
A couple of notes:
I used white basmati rice. You can substitute whatever kind of rice you like. If you don’t like rice then try adding cooked quinoa instead. Whatever rice you use, add a bouillon cube to the rice as it cooks.
This is a forgiving casserole – if you want more beans then use less rice and add more beans. If you like your casserole really spicy then use more salsa and less tomato.
I used cheddar since it was what I had on hand. I think a combination of cheeses would be a great addition – maybe cheddar and monterey jack or pepper jack if you like it spicy.
Coming up this week:
On Wedneday I’ll be posting a great quinoa and lentil salad and on Thursday a super yummy wrap. So check back then or use the sign up feature and I’ll email the recipes to you directly.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 bouillon cube
- ½ lime - juiced
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 1 10 oz package frozen corn
- 4 scallions - chopped
- 1 medium zucchini - grated
- 1 half jar of salsa - about 8 oz
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese - grated
- 1 tbs parsley - minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice per package directions - add bouillon cube to water. When done, let rice sit covered for 10 minutes. After rice has cooled, fluff and toss with lime juice.
- Add rice to a large bowl. You'll be adding all the ingredients in to this bowl.
- Drain black beans and add to bowl.
- Saute spinach and minced garlic in a little oil until slightly wilted. Add to bowl.
- Add corn and scallions to saute pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add corn and scallions to bowl.
- Grate zucchini and add to bowl.
- Add salsa to bowl.
- Add can of diced tomatoes (and juice in the can) to the bowl.
- Add 1 cup of grated cheese to the bowl.
- Mix everything together in the bowl.
- Lightly grease a 10 x 8 casserole.
- Pour rice and black bean mixture in to casserole pan.
- Top mixture with remaining 1 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle minced parsley over the top as a garnish.