October is national pizza month so I thought it was high time that I posted a pizza recipe. This is a quick, easy and flavorful pizza using naan flatbread. The flatbread is layered with garlicky sautéed spinach and three cheeses – mozzarella, parmesan and a couple of dollops of creamy, tangy goat cheese.
Since I’m all about fast and easy, I used Stonefire naan flatbread as the base for the pizza. You can find it in any supermarket. It has a soft, chewy texture that crisps up really well in the oven. To make this pizza all you need to do is sauté some spinach and garlic and grate a little cheese. Layer your ingredients on the flatbread and pop it in the oven for 7 minutes and you’re done. The whole process from start to finish doesn’t take more than 15 minutes.
I’ve experimented with a couple of different flavor combinations before deciding that this was the winner. Goat cheese can be an acquired taste but the creamy, tangy texture of the goat cheese with the garlicky spinach was a perfect taste combination.
A couple of notes:
- If you’re not a goat cheese fan, then try adding ricotta cheese instead.
- I used firm mozzarella – the kind you can easily grate – rather than fresh, soft mozzarella.
- If you want to make this a bit more substantial, trying adding some sautéed mushrooms or olives.
- This flatbread pizza makes an excellent appetizer. Cut it up into smaller portions and serve with a glass of wine.
|Flatbread Pizza with Spinach and Goat Cheese|| |
- 2 Naan flatbreads - I used the Stonefire brand.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 8 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 1 oz goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbs olive oil to the frying pan.
- Add half the spinach to the frying pan and sauté until wilted - about 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper and the rest of the spinach to the frying pan and sauté until all is wilted - about another 2 minutes.
- Remove frying pan from the heat and set aside.
- Place flatbread pizzas on a baking sheet, pizza pan or baking stone. I used a pizza pan.
- Evenly spread the spinach mixture over the two flatbreads.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan evenly over the two flatbreads.
- Add 5 or 6 small dollops of goat cheese evenly over each flatbread.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After cooking for 5 minutes, turn the broiler on and broil until cheese is nicely melted and slightly brown. This only takes a minute or two so watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
Watch the flatbread carefully when it's under the broiler so that it does not burn - it goes from brown to burnt very quickly!