I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies this weekend but didn’t have any eggs. I didn’t want to go the faux egg route (egg replacer, flax seed as egg) so I googled chocolate chip cookies without eggs and a lot of recipes came up. So adapting this recipe from Art of Dessert, I forged ahead and made my first batch of eggless chocolate chip cookies. The recipe uses cream cheese instead of eggs – and it is sort of a surprise ingredient. I wasn’t sure how the cream cheese would bind everything together but it did and the cookies came out fantastic – soft and chewy. They were even better the next day. I brought them to work and they were gone in a flash. So if you’re out of eggs, have an egg allergy or just want to make cookie dough to eat then this is your recipe.
A couple of notes:
These cookies are not the crisp kind of chocolate chip cookies – they are a bit on the delicate side. They are great for eating but probably would not be good for being the cookie part of an ice-cream sandwich.
This made about 30 cookies – but I made pretty big cookies. You could probably make around 40 if you made smaller cookies.
They were VERY soft when they came out of the oven. I let them sit in the pan for a minute or two to firm up before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
I used a hand mixer and it worked out fine but if you have a stand mixer the dough will probably come together faster.
I was worried at first that they would be a beige brown color but they browned up really well. Keep an eye on the cookies while they are baking because they turn the perfect shade of brown all of a sudden .
I got about 12 cookies on each cookie sheet. They didn’t spread out too much while they were baking so you could probably get a couple more cookies on each cookie sheet.
I used dark chocolate chips but you could use regular chips or add nuts if that’s the way you like your cookies.Print
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie with no eggs and a surprise ingredient – cream cheese!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 30 Cookies 1x
- 2 sticks of butter – room temperature
- 1 package (8 oz) of cream cheese – room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar together with a mixer. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Shift together flour, baking soda and salt. I used a fine mesh sieve and shook it over a bowl and then gave everything a good stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a bit at a time (about 3/4 of a cup at a time) and mix with mixer to combine until all the flour is mixed with the butter.
- Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and drop large tablespoons of batter on to cookie sheet.
- Bake for between 11 and 14 minutes. Mine took about 13 minutes each time.
- Remove cookies from pan and let cool on a wire rack until completely cool.