A fresh, easy tomato avocado salsa. The perfect appetizer to share with friends whether hanging out, having a party or watching the game. Quick to make and packed with flavor!
This tomato avocado salsa is super simple to whip up.
It’s fresh, zesty and loaded with ripe tomatoes and creamy avocado. The perfect appetizer for a party, game day or just hanging with friends.
This is a healthy choice for a dip. It’s loaded with fresh flavor and healthy fats. And its got lots of avocado in it and who doesn’t love avocado.
Just chop up some tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño and red onion and then toss with a lime dressing and some cilantro. Set aside for at least 15 minutes so the flavors can blend and you’re ready to go.
I’m all about the cilantro and lime flavor in this salsa. I love the fresh zingy taste of lime and cilantro.
This salsa is not very spicy – since I’m a bit of a heat wimp – I only used a half of a jalapeño pepper. If you want a hotter salsa then use the whole jalapeño.
Salsa, of course, goes naturally with chips. But here are some other ways to add this salsa to your life:
- Add some to a quesadilla, burrito or tacos.
- Toss it with rice and beans to rev up a burrito bowl.
- Add it to an omelet for a zesty kick.
- Or just eat it by the spoonful as I did when I was testing this recipe.
Tomato Avocado Salsa
A fresh, easy tomato avocado salsa. The perfect appetizer to share when watching the game, having a party or just hanging out with friends.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 8 1x
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes – I used 4 medium sized tomatoes – diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced.
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper – finely minced – use more if you like your salsa spicy!
- 1 ripe avocado, removed from peel and diced.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lime – squeezed – about 2 tbs of lime juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt.
- Dice tomatoes and put in a fine meshed strainer to drain as you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Dice red onion and place in a little bowl of water to reduce the raw onion taste.
- Cut jalapeño pepper in half and remove seeds and membrane. Finely mince the jalapeño. I only used half of the jalapeño since I don’t like my salsa too spicy. Use the whole pepper or more if you like your salsa hot and spicy.
- Dice avocado.
- Chop cilantro.
- Mix lime juice, olive oil and salt together in a small bowl.
- Add drained tomatoes to a medium sized bowl.
- Drain red onion from water in a fine meshed strainer and add to the bowl.
- Add jalapeño pepper, avocado and cilantro to the bowl.
- Pour lime dressing over tomato avocado salsa and toss gently.
Jalapeño peppers are HOT. Be careful not to touch your face or eyes when handling the jalapeño pepper since it will burn. Wash your hands after dicing them. I removed the seeds and membrane since I don’t like a really spicy salsa. If you want more heat then use a whole jalapeño or two.