Avocado toast with cherry tomatoes – a simple and tasty way to dress up ordinary avocado toast. Quick and easy to make – perfect for a light dinner, appetizer or even breakfast – it’s great any time of day!
My cherry tomato plants have been producing like crazy this summer – so to use up all those little tomatoes, I’ve been making avocado toast with cherry tomatoes a lot. This is a super simple recipe that’s filling, tasty and looks great. It’s a little bit messy too, but in a good way!
I love jazzing up ordinary avocado toast by adding toppings and these marinated cherry tomatoes are the perfect topping – so good and so easy to make – and it only takes about 10 minutes to put everything together.
This recipe is perfect for a light dinner or to share as an appetizer with friends. It’s the perfect mixture of creamy, sweet and crunchy. I like to serve this with a glass of cold white wine and a light green salad for a quick and easy dinner.
How to make this quick and easy avocado toast with cherry tomatoes:
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and toss with a simple balsamic dressing and some fresh basil. Let it sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Toast some slices of rustic French bread until golden brown.
- Mash up two avocados – I like to leave it a little chunky.
- Top the toast with mashed up avocado and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the avocado toast and you’re ready to serve.
Tips and questions about making avocado toast with cherry tomatoes:
What kind of bread should I use? I used a rustic French garlic bread that I sliced into thin slices. Sourdough bread would also be a good choice. You want the bread to be firm enough that it can hold all the toppings without bending.
How should I toast the bread? You have a couple of options – you can toast the bread in the toaster (that’s what I did), you could toast the bread in the oven on a baking sheet (this will take more time than using the toaster) or you could toast the bread on the grill, if you’re grilling.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time? You can make the marinated cherry tomatoes about an hour or so ahead of time – let them sit on your kitchen counter (not the refrigerator) until you’re ready to serve. Don’t mash the avocado until just before serving. The avocado will turn brown if you make it too far ahead of time.
Can I refrigerator any left overs? Sadly, no. Mashed avocados will turn brown and the bread will become soggy. So eat up and enjoy this right when you make it.
Looking for more avocado toast recipes? Then try one of these:
- Avocado with Roasted Asparagus – From Traci at Vanilla and Bean
- Avocado Crostini 4 Ways – From Annie at Ciao Chow Bambina
- 11 Ways to Fancy Up Your Avocado Toast – From The Kitchn
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please come back and leave a comment and rating. I’d love to hear from you!Print
Avocado Toast with Cherry Tomatoes
Avocado toast with cherry tomatoes – a simple and tasty way to dress up avocado toast. Quick and easy to make – perfect for a light dinner, appetizer or even breakfast – it’s great any time of day!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 slices 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 6 slices of French or sourdough bread – I used a rustic French garlic bread
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of cherry tomatoes – sliced in half
- 8 fresh basil leaves – thinly sliced
- 2 avocados – mashed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic – minced
- 4 twists of fresh black pepper from a pepper mill.
- 2 pinches of salt
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and chop up the basil and add to a bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients – olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, black pepper and 1 pinch of salt. Pour over cherry tomatoes and basil. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Toast bread slices. I toasted them in the toaster.
- Put the toasted slices of bread on a serving platter.
- Mash up the two avocados in a bowl with a fork. I left the mashed avocado on the chunky side.
- Add the mashed avocado to the top of the toast slices. I patted it down with a fork as I added. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the avocado mixture on the bread.
- Spoon the marinated tomatoes on top of the avocado toast and you’re ready to serve.
- I used white balsamic vinegar but you can use regular balsamic vinegar if that is what you have on hand (but it will be darker in color).
- Don’t mash up the avocado ahead of time, it will turn brown. Mash it up right before serving.
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and leave a comment and rating to let me know what you think. I appreciate hearing your thoughts!
- Nutritional information is an estimate based on an online nutritional calculator.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Fat: 11.8g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: Avocado Toast, Summer Recipe, Vegan Appetizer