Who doesn’t love appetizers? Especially appetizers that are made from bread and cheese and tomatoes. Crostini with whipped feta and cherry tomatoes is a delicious combination of tastes and colors. A trifecta of crunchy toast, salty feta and vibrant tomatoes. Until I read this recipe, I’d never thought of whipping feta with cream cheese to make a creamy spread. It came out perfectly – smooth, salty and delicious. You could make this when guest are coming, as a starter before dinner or just as a snack in the late afternoon with some friends. It looks great and is oh so easy to make (and eat)!
A couple of notes:
I hate taking out the big food processor – I used a mini food processor and it worked out fine.
Definitely taste the feta after it’s been whipped to make sure it’s smooth – I had to continue whipping it for a bit to get a thoroughly smooth consistency.
I used the toaster oven to toast the bread. I find when using a toaster oven it’s easier to keep an eye on the bread so it doesn’t burn.
Make a double batch of the whipped feta and you can have a spread for crackers or bagels left over for the next day.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s book “The Barefoot Contessa: Foolproof”.Print
Crostini with whipped feta and tomatoes
A trifecta of crunchy toast, creamy, salty feta and vibrant tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 1x
- Tomato Topping:
- 1 carton of cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- 2 Tbs parsley – minced
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- Whipped Feta:
- 4 ounces of feta – cubed or crumbled
- 1 ounce of cream cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 4 twists of pepper.
- 1 loaf of French bread
- Slice cherry tomatoes (I quartered the cherry tomatoes because they were large) and add to a bowl.
- Mince parsley and add to tomatoes.
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Pour over tomatoes and let tomatoes sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Combine feta, cream cheese, olive oil, lemon juice and pepper in a food processor. I used a mini food processor. Whip until smooth.
- Slice bread on the diagonal and toast.
- Top each slice of toast with a generous helping of whipped feta and then spoon tomato mixture on top.