First I found my summer salad, now I’ve found my summer drink – watermelon agua fresca. This is a refreshing summertime drink. It’s not too sweet, not too tart, full of watermelon flavor and a lovely pink color.
I love watermelon, but sometimes when I buy it I think yikes what am I going to do with all this watermelon. Well here’s your answer, make watermelon agua fresca. It’s perfect to drink on a hot afternoon. It’s a cool, refreshing drink of watermelon goodness with a splash of lime.
I haven’t tried this yet but this would make a great cocktail – with a splash of tequila or maybe rum or vodka.
A couple of notes:
I used a small, seedless watermelon. There were a few little white seeds but I just put it all in the blender with no problems. If you’re using a large watermelon you’ll need to pick out the seeds – and that sounds like a lot of work so stick to the seedless kind.
4 cups of cubed watermelon equaled about 1/2 of a small, seedless watermelon.
I added in 2 tablespoons of sugar – if you’re trying to cut back on sugar I’m sure this drink would be fine without it.
Pureeing the watermelon in the blender should give you about 2 1/2 cups of watermelon juice.
This recipe made 4 1/2 cups of agua fresca – so served over ice, depending on glass size, you should get 4 to 6 drinks.
Watermelon agua fresca adapted from this recipe.Print
Watermelon Agua Fresca
A refreshing summertime drink packed with watermelon flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- 4 cups of cubed watermelon
- 2 limes – juiced
- 2 cups of chilled water
- 2 tbs sugar
- Using a blender, puree the watermelon. I pureed 2 cups of watermelon at a time. After blending the 4 cups of watermelon you should have about 2 1/2 cups of watermelon juice.
- Strain the watermelon juice through a fine meshed sieve.
- Add juice from two limes to the watermelon juice.
- Add sugar to 2 cups of water and stir to combine.
- Add water with sugar to juice.
- Stir and refrigerate the juice until chilled.
- Serve over ice with a sprig of mint.