I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies this weekend but didn’t have any eggs. I didn’t want to go the faux egg route (egg replacer, flax seed as egg) so I googled chocolate chip cookies without eggs and a lot of recipes came up. So adapting this recipe from Art of Dessert, I forged ahead and made my first batch of eggless chocolate chip cookies. The recipe uses cream cheese instead of eggs – and it is sort of a surprise ingredient. I wasn’t sure how the cream cheese would bind everything together but it did and the cookies came out fantastic – soft and chewy. They were even better the next day. I brought them to work and they were gone in a flash. So if you’re out of eggs, have an egg allergy or just want to make cookie dough to eat then this is your recipe.
A couple of notes:
These cookies are not the crisp kind of chocolate chip cookies – they are a bit on the delicate side. They are great for eating but probably would not be good for being the cookie part of an ice-cream sandwich.
This made about 30 cookies – but I made pretty big cookies. You could probably make around 40 if you made smaller cookies.
They were VERY soft when they came out of the oven. I let them sit in the pan for a minute or two to firm up before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
I used a hand mixer and it worked out fine but if you have a stand mixer the dough will probably come together faster.
I was worried at first that they would be a beige brown color but they browned up really well. Keep an eye on the cookies while they are baking because they turn the perfect shade of brown all of a sudden .
I got about 12 cookies on each cookie sheet. They didn’t spread out too much while they were baking so you could probably get a couple more cookies on each cookie sheet.
I used dark chocolate chips but you could use regular chips or add nuts if that’s the way you like your cookies.
|Chocolate Chip Cookies|| |
- 2 sticks of butter - room temperature
- 1 package (8 oz) of cream cheese - room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 package of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar together with a mixer. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Shift together flour, baking soda and salt. I used a fine mesh sieve and shook it over a bowl and then gave everything a good stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a bit at a time (about ¾ of a cup at a time) and mix with mixer to combine until all the flour is mixed with the butter.
- Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and drop large tablespoons of batter on to cookie sheet.
- Bake for between 11 and 14 minutes. Mine took about 13 minutes each time.
- Remove cookies from pan and let cool on a wire rack until completely cool.