Chopped salad with roasted chickpeas – A colorful, hearty, vegetarian chopped salad with roasted chickpeas and kale tossed with a garlicky buttermilk dressing. Vibrant, healthy and filling.
I was going to call this chopped salad with roasted chickpeas a rainbow chopped salad because it is so colorful.
This vibrant, filling salad is packed with fresh vegetables and crunchy roasted chickpeas. You start with baby kale tossed in a garlicky, tangy buttermilk dressing. Next, top the kale with nutty roasted chickpeas, crunchy bell pepper, cucumbers, sweet cherry tomatoes, salty feta and olives. When it’s all tossed together it make a bright, healthy, hearty salad.
The classic buttermilk dressing for this salad really won me over – it’s light and garlicky and tangy. I don’t make buttermilk dressings very often because they are usually too thick but this dressing is not heavy or thick – it’s a light, garlicky dressing that easily coats all the kale and vegetables.
The chickpeas are roasted with a little bit of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. After roasting, they become crunchy and nutty. Chickpeas are loaded with protein and fiber so they make a great, healthy addition to this salad.
A couple of notes:
After rinsing and straining the chickpeas, make sure to dry the chickpeas with paper towel – blot off as much water as you can. This will help with the crispy factor when you roast them.
I used baby kale in this salad. I find it easier to eat than regular kale – it’s not as tough or chewy as regular kale.
After you’ve made the dressing, toss half of it over the baby kale and let it marinate the kale while the chickpeas are roasting in the oven. This will help soften the kale up a bit.
This salad holds up well in the fridge – so make some extra for lunch the next day. And if you want to change things up at bit, try adding it to a tortilla as a wrap for lunch.
The buttermilk dressing adapted from this recipe.Print
Chopped Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
A colorful, hearty, vegetarian chopped salad with roasted chickpeas and kale tossed with a garlicky buttermilk dressing. Vibrant, healthy and filling.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6
- Category: Salad
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 5 oz bag of baby kale – roughly chopped
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes – sliced in half
- 1 yellow pepper – seeds removed – diced into a medium size dice
- 1/2 large cucumber – peeled and seeded – diced into a medium size dice
- 2 oz of feta – diced
- 10 kalamata olives – roughly chopped
- 1 tbs red onion – minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 twists of black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 2 tbs mayonaise
- 1 clove of garlic – mashed to a paste
- 1 tbs chives – finely minced
- 1 tbs parsley – finely minced
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 5 twists of black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse canned chickpeas and dry with paper towel.
- Toss chickpeas with 1 tbs olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 8 twists of pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Spread chickpeas out onto a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, stir the chickpeas so they don’t burn. Remove when they are toasted and golden brown. Let cool.
- While chickpeas are cooking, make the dressing.
- Smash 1 clove of garlic to a paste.
- Mince chives and parsley.
- Add smashed garlic, chives, parsley, buttermilk, mayo, white wine vinegar, black pepper and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Roughly chop baby kale and toss with half the buttermilk dressing – let marinate while you’re prepping the rest of the salad.
- Chop cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow pepper, feta, olives and red onion.
- Add chopped vegetables and roasted chickpeas to the salad and toss with remaining buttermilk dressing.