I realized that I’ve been making a lot of pasta dishes lately so to change things up a bit here’s a quinoa salad with chickpeas, arugula, feta and almonds. This is an easy salad to make – light but filling. You’ve got quinoa and chickpeas for protein. Fiery arugula for a peppery bite. Salty feta and crunch almonds to round things out. A touch of sweetness by the addition of raisins and shredded carrots. And finally, a lemony dressing with a touch of honey helps to keep the arugula from being too overpowering.
I have a confession to make – I peeled the chickpeas. I know… you probably think I’m nuts. I peeled the chickpeas when I made this smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich and I thought it made a big difference. So I decided to peel them for this salad as well. It was very zen like and in about 7 minutes all were peeled. I shouldn’t really say peeled – you just give them a tiny squeeze and the chickpea slips right out of the skin. I really liked them peeled – they seem softer and easier to digest – so give it a try and see what you think. Or if you’re thinking pshhh – who has time for that nonsense – just add them in whole without peeling them – this salad is going to be great either way.
A couple of notes:
Cook quinoa according to the package instructions. But make sure that you rinse the quinoa thoroughly before cooking it. Once cooked, drain any left over liquid from the quinoa using a fine mesh sieve and then turn out the quinoa onto a baking sheet to cool – this will keep it from getting mushy.
Raisins can sometimes be a little on the tough side, so to soften them up you want to plump them. Add the raisins to a bowl, pour a little hot water on them – about 1/2 a cup and let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes. They become soft and chewy.Print
Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Arugula, Feta and Almonds
A light and filling salad featuring quinoa, chickpeas, arugula, feta and almonds – tossed in a lemony dressing.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 cup of dry quinoa – cook as per the package instructions
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1 5 oz bag of baby arugula
- 2 medium sized carrots – grated
- 2 stalks of celery – finely diced
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup of golden raisins
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 2 oz feta cheese – cubed
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 squeeze of honey – about 1 tsp
- 8 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- Cook the quinoa as per the package instructions. Add 1 bouillon cube to the water before it begins to boil. When quinoa is done – drain if necessary and turn out onto a baking sheet to cool.
- Wash and dry arugula. Give arugula a rough chop so the leaves aren’t so difficult to eat. Add arugula to a large bowl.
- Plump raisins by adding 1/2 cup of hot water to the raisins in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Grate carrots using the fine side of a grater. Add to the large bowl.
- Mince celery and to the bowl.
- Add almonds to the bowl.
- Drain raisins and add to the bowl.
- Open can, drain chickpeas and peel off skins (if you feel like it). To peel, just squeeze chickpea slightly and it will slip right out of it’s skin. Add chickpeas to the bowl.
- Dice feta and set aside.
- Whisk lemon, olive oil, honey and black pepper together.
- Toss cooled quinoa with ingredients in the large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Add feta and lightly toss so feta doesn’t completely break up.