This fresh corn salad with cherry tomatoes and avocado is a simple summer salad that only uses a few ingredients. It comes together quickly using late summer produce. It features fresh corn, sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy avocado tossed in a zesty lime vinaigrette.
With summer winding down and Labor Day parties around the corner, I thought I’d share this healthy, fresh corn salad with cherry tomatoes and avocado.
I was inspired by all the late summer produce at the farmer’s market – there were tables piled high with fresh corn.
This is a raw corn salad – there’s no need to cook the corn if you are using really fresh corn.
There are just a few ingredients in this recipe – and it’s quick to make. Fresh corn is tossed with sweet cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, salty feta, scallions and fresh basil. The dressing is a zesty lime vinaigrette and it really pulls all the flavors together.
You can make this dish ahead, just don’t add the avocados until just before serving.
Looking for additional no cook salad ideas – because who wants to turn the oven on when it’s hot out? Here are two more easy to make summer salads:
A couple of notes:
This dish holds up well in the fridge – but without the avocado. The avocado will turn brown quickly – so if you want to make it ahead or are planning on having extra for the next day then don’t add the avocado. Only add the avocado just before serving.
If you make extra, this works well tossed with cooked quinoa – an easy lunch idea to use up those leftovers.
If your corn still has the stalk on – don’t remove it when you husk the corn. It will act as a natural handle when you slice the corn kernels off the cob.
Recipe adapted from this Food Network recipe.Print
Fresh Corn Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Avocados
This fresh corn salad with cherry tomatoes and avocado is a simple summer salad that uses fresh corn, sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy avocado tossed in a zesty lime vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- 4 ears of fresh corn – slice the kernels from each ear of corn.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes – sliced in half.
- 2 ounces of feta cheese – diced into small cubes.
- 3 scallions – finely sliced – I used only the green part of the scallion and discarded the white bulb end.
- 1 ripe avocado – diced and removed from peel.
- 10 basil leaves – finely minced. I cut mine into long thin slices.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 of a lime – juiced.
- 1 small clove of garlic – minced.
- 6 twists of fresh pepper from a pepper mill
- A pinch of salt
- Husk corn and slice off kernels using a sharp knife into a large shallow bowl. Cut down and away from yourself.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl with the corn.
- Dice feta and add to the bowl.
- Slice scallions into thin pieces and add to the bowl.
- Dice avocado and add to the bowl.
- Add minced basil to the bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss together ingredients and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes for flavors to meld.
When slicing fresh corn off the cob, hold the cob over a large shallow bowl and cut down and away from yourself so there’s no chance of slipping and cutting yourself.
This dish is easy to double if you are serving to a larger crowd. I usually plan on one ear of corn per person.
You want to slice the scallions into thin slices – big pieces will be too overpowering in this salad.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 189mg
- Fat: 18.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35.9g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg