I haven’t been a fan of couscous in the past – too dry and bland. But I changed my mind after trying whole wheat couscous. It has a nutty, complex taste that works well with crunchy almonds, arugula’s strong flavor and the salty tang of the olives. Add some raisins for sweetness and you have a great balance of flavors and textures. This is a quick and easy salad to throw together.Print
Couscous Salad with Arugula, Almonds and Olives
A quick and easy couscous salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salad
- Whole Wheat Couscous – 2/3 cups
- Arugula – 2 cups chopped
- Red Onion – 1/4 of a cup – diced
- Red Pepper – 1/3 of a cup (about 1/2 a pepper) – diced
- Yellow Raisins – 1/3 of a cup – plumped
- Feta Cheese – 1/3 of a cup
- Carrot – 1 large or 2 small – shredded
- Almonds – 1/3 cup sliced
- Olives – 10 olives minced
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 10 twists of pepper
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 squeeze of honey
- Cook whole wheat couscous as per box instructions. Let cool.
- Place raisins in hot water to plump – this will soften the raisins. Strain after 5 minutes.
- Give arugula a rough chop so the leaves aren’t too big – or leave whole – which ever you prefer. Add to bowl.
- Add diced red onion, red pepper, raisins, feta, carrot, almonds and olives to the bowl of arugula.
- Add cooled couscous to bowl.
- Make dressing by adding all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisking (or pour into a small container with a lid and give it a good shake).
- Toss dressing over salad.