This quinoa salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumbers is an easy, colorful, summer salad that is the perfect side dish or main meal on a hot day. It features quinoa, fresh summer veggies, peppery arugula and feta cheese. A light, healthy, summer salad.
After a bit of a blogging break (over 6 months!), I’m back with this easy, colorful, summer salad.
I eat a lot of salad in the summer, often three or four times a week, and this quinoa salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumbers has been my go to summer salad.
I love adding quinoa to salads. It’s one of my favorite whole grains. It adds protein, fiber and gives the salad a bit of a nutty taste.
I cook up a big batch of quinoa every Sunday and it keeps in the fridge all week. Having quinoa precooked and ready in the fridge means you can whip up this salad in no time at all.
Arugula is one of my favorite greens – crisp, fresh and peppery. Some people find the flavor too strong – you can always switch it out for tender spring greens or baby spinach.
To finish the salad off, I’ve added crunchy walnuts, salty feta and a little red onion. Everything is tossed together with a red wine vinaigrette.
Want to make it vegan? Then trade out the feta for salty olives.
This summer quinoa salad holds up well in the fridge. I usually make extra so I can bring the leftovers to work the next day. I pack it up the night before in a container so I can just grab it and go in the morning.
If you’re a fan of quinoa salads here are some other great choices:
- Quinoa salads with asparagus, cherry tomatoes and pecans.
- Quinoa salad with avocado, cherry tomatoes and feta.
- Quinoa salad with chickpeas, arugula, feta and almonds.
Quinoa Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Cucumbers
Quinoa salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. An easy, colorful, summer salad that is the perfect side dish or main meal on a hot day. It features quinoa, fresh summer veggies, peppery arugula and feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cook as per the package instructions)
- 4 cups chopped arugula
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup diced english cucumber
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1 to 2 tbs minced red onion
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 8 twists of fresh black pepper from a pepper mill
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cook quinoa as per the package instructions. Let cool slightly when done.
- Roughly chop arugula and add to a large bowl.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl.
- Dice cucumber and add to the bowl.
- Dice feta cheese and add to the bowl.
- Mince red onion and add to the bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa and walnuts to the bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, black pepper and salt together.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve.
Make sure to rinse your quinoa before cooking. This will remove any bitter taste.
If you pre-cook the quinoa, it will keep in the fridge for about a week.
I like to give my greens a rough chop, it makes them much easier to eat.
- Serving Size: 1 (of 4)
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Cholesterol: 13mg