This classic Greek salad is a crowd pleaser perfect for summer parties, picnics and barbecues. An easy, flavorful recipe that comes together in no time at all.
After an extremely mild spring, we’ve been hit with a fierce heat wave in Los Angeles – it was 105 degrees today and is supposed to be 108 tomorrow. It’s much too hot to cook, so this Greek salad is the perfect, easy salad to make on a boiling, hot day.
I’m a big Greek salad fan – I love the combination of flavors – it’s crunchy, salty, sweet and tangy all at the same time. And I love how easy it is to make. Just give everything a rough chop and toss it with a vinaigrette and you’re done.
Usually the feta I buy is very crumbly but I found a traditional Greek feta at Whole Foods that was firmer and doesn’t fall apart when tossed with the other ingredients – so check your local market to see if they have a traditional Greek feta in stock. No worries if you can’t find it, a crumbly feta will still be delicious.
A classic Greek salad usually uses green bell peppers, but I went with yellow bell peppers instead because I love the color contrast. If you’re a regular reader, you’ll know I like my food bright and colorful.
A couple of notes:
- Try and chop all your vegetables the same size, into a large dice.
- I used an English cucumber, which has a thinner skin and smaller seeds than a regular cucumber – so there’s no need to peel and deseed. If you use a regular cucumber, you’ll want to remove the peel (which has been waxed) and seeds.
A classic Greek salad perfect for summer parties, picnics and barbecues. An easy, flavorful salad that comes together in no time at all.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4 1x
- Greek Salad
- 2 cups (1 pint) of cherry tomatoes – sliced in half
- 1 English cucumber – Sliced in half lengthwise and then sliced into half moons.
- 1 yellow bell pepper – seeds and stem removed – roughly chopped into a large dice
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives – I used the kind that had the pits removed – roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion – thinly sliced
- 4 oz Feta cheese – chopped up into cubes
- 1 to 2 Tbs fresh oregano – minced
- 1 small clove of garlic – minced
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 6 twists of black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow bell pepper and feta – all the ingredients should be diced about the same size.
- Slice the red onion into thin slices.
- Roughly chop the kalamata olives.
- Make dressing by whisking together dressing ingredients.
- Gently toss the vegetables, feta, red onion and dressing in a large bowl to combine.