This recipe for green beans with parmesan and lemon butter sauce is a great way to dress up green beans for the holidays. Quick, simple and so delicious – an easy, no fuss side dish to add to your holiday meal.
Preparing holiday meals can be hectic – so I wanted to share a simple recipe that doesn’t take very long to put together but is very flavorful. You start by cooking the green beans until they are tender crisp and then plunge them into an ice bath to lock in their bright green color.
The parmesan and lemon butter sauce is what really makes this dish. The sauce is very simple – just a combination of frothy, melted butter with garlic and lemon. The green beans are sautéed in the sauce for a few minutes until warmed through and then tossed with finely grated parmesan cheese. Toasted pine nuts are added for some delicious nutty flavor.
I want to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. I hope you and your family share a wonderful meal and have lots of laughs together this Thanksgiving.
A couple of notes about this recipe:
- To save a little time, you can cook the green beans the night before and then add them to the sauce right before dinner is served. Just follow steps 1 through 3 of the cooking instructions and store the cooked green beans in the fridge overnight.
- The sauce comes together really quickly, so have all your ingredients prepped and ready to add to the sauté pan.
- The lemon will splatter a bit when added to the hot, melted butter – so add it carefully.
- When toasting the pine nuts, keep stirring the nuts continuously – they can burn very quickly.
Green Beans with Parmesan and Lemon Butter Sauce
Green beans with parmesan and lemon butter sauce – a quick, easy and delicious way to serve green beans.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- 1 1/2 pounds of green beans – stem ends trimmed
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/2 of a large lemon – squeezed
- 8 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add trimmed green beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- While beans are cooking, prepare your ice bath by adding ice to a large bowl (fill bowl half way with ice) and add cool water so the bowl is filled about 3/4 of the way.
- When the green beans are ready, drain the green beans and add them to the ice bath. This will stop the green beans from cooking further and lock in the bright green color. When the green beans are cool to the touch, drain the green beans from the ice bath and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the pine nuts for 1 minute over medium high heat. Stir continuously so they don’t burn. Remove pine nuts from the pan and set aside.
- In the same large sauté pan, melt butter until frothy over medium low heat. When the butter is completely melted, add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Next add lemon juice and 8 twists of black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add cooled green beans to the lemon butter sauce. Toss occasionally until the green beans are heated through – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add toasted pine nuts and the parmesan cheese to the green beans – toss to combine.