I love a big salad for lunch. One that includes grains, vegetables, seeds or nuts and a little cheese. This mediterranean quinoa salad is a perfect example. It doesn’t take long to make. While the quinoa cooks, chop your vegetables and then toss everything with a vinaigrette. The artichokes and olives give it a mediterranean flair. The red pepper, celery and sunflower seeds give it a satisfying crunch. And since quinoa is a protein packed grain, it makes a very filling salad.
Some Notes About Quinoa:
Quinoa needs to be rinsed before you cook it. There is a bitter coating on the quinoa that needs to be rinsed away. Rinse it in a fine mesh sieve under running water for a minute or so.
I’ve had a hard time cooking quinoa in the past – it would turn out mushy. I think the secret to cooking quinoa is once the cooking time is up and all the water has evaporated from the pan, is to turn the quinoa out on to a baking sheet to cool. This will leave the quinoa delicate and fluffy – definitely not mushy. Just make sure that all the water has evaporated in the pan before turning it out onto a baking sheet. If there is any water in the bottom of the pan then drain it using a fine mesh sieve – then turn it out on to the baking sheet.
Make a big batch of quinoa and leave it in the fridge. You can add it to any salads, stir fries or chili that you make during the week.Print
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
A mediterranean quinoa salad with artichokes, olives and red pepper. A satisfying and filling quinoa salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red pepper
- 3 celery stalks
- 20 kalamata olives
- 1 cup of marinated artichoke hearts
- 4 scallions – green part only
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbs sunflower seeds
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa and cook as per package instructions. I like to add a veggie bullion cube. Once finished cooking, turn quinoa out on to baking sheet to cool.
- Finely chop red pepper, olives and celery and add to a bowl.
- Give marinated artichoke hearts a rough chop and add to the bowl.
- Use the green part of the scallions only – discard white part. Chop scallions thinly and add to the bowl.
- Add feta cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper together.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.