This apple, gouda, walnut salad is an easy fall salad that comes together in minutes. Crisp braeburn apples, creamy gouda and crunchy walnuts are tossed with minced red onion, mixed greens and a white wine vinaigrette. This is a tasty combination of fall flavors and textures – crisp, tart, sweet, sharp and crunchy all at once.
I love adding fruit, cheese and nuts to a salad and this is a classic fall combination. Braeburn apples have a sweet tart taste. Gouda is a wonderful cheese wrapped in bright red wax – it’s a semi-hard cheese with a mild buttery taste. I like to add gouda to salads rather than cheddar since it has a smoother, creamier taste.
We’re finally about to get some cool weather here and I’m ready for fall to begin. I’m looking forward to boots and sweaters and casseroles and soups. To sleeping late and brisk walks and maybe, just maybe, a little rain for poor, dry California. But for now I’m going to leave you with this fall salad. Enjoy.
A couple of notes:
The salad mix that you use should include some stronger tasting lettuce – escarole, radicchio or arugula. These will help balance out the sweet tart apples and mild, buttery cheese.
Try and slice your apple as thinly as possible – I used a really sharp knife to get such thin slices. If you’re having a hard time slicing the apple really thin – then cut it into cubes about the same size as the gouda cheese.
Soak your red onion in a little cold water before mincing. This will remove some of the raw onion taste.
This is part of my simple salad series – great simple salads using just a few ingredients but packed with flavor. If you like this salad take a look at this Tomato, Cucumber, Avocado Salad or this Peach, Feta and Pecan Salad.
|Apple Gouda Walnut Salad|| |
- 1 bag of baby spring mix lettuce - 5 oz bag
- 1 half braeburn apple - thinly sliced
- ¾ cup diced gouda cheese
- ⅓ cup of walnut pieces
- 2 tbs minced red onion
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey - a small squeeze of honey
- 8 twists of pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- Wash and dry lettuce and add to a large bowl.
- Mince red onion and add to the bowl of lettuce.
- Slice the apple half as thinly as you can.
- Dice gouda into about ½ inch cubes.
- Measure out walnuts.
- Whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, black pepper and salt.
- Toss half of the dressing over the lettuce and red onion.
- Add apple slices, diced gouda and walnuts to lettuce mixture.
- Add remaining dressing and toss gently until everything is coated with dressing.