This tomato cucumber salad is a quick and easy side salad that goes with everything. It’s fresh, healthy, flavorful and vegan.
Summer may be winding down but my garden is producing a ton of tomatoes and cucumbers at the moment. This tomato cucumber salad has been my go to salad all summer. It makes an excellent side salad whether you are grilling, going on a picnic or need to bring a side dish to a party.
Ripe tomatoes are combined with cool cucumbers, salty olives, crunchy walnuts and some fresh basil. Toss it with a garlicky red wine vinaigrette and you’re ready to serve.
I used a mix of summer tomatoes in this salad – some cherry tomatoes and some regular sized tomatoes.
For the cucumber, I used a Japanese cucumber. I’ve had great luck growing Japanese cucumbers this year. They are similar to English cucumbers – thin skinned with small seeds. One plant has given me 5 or 6 cucumbers a week for the last 5 weeks. So if you want to try growing a new vegetable next summer definitely give Japanese cucumbers a try.
A couple of notes:
- I used a thin skinned Japanese cucumber so I did not have to peel it. If you use a traditional cucumber, you’ll need to peel the outer skin off before dicing.
- Try to cut your tomatoes and cucumbers into a similar size shape when dicing.
Tomato Cucumber Salad
This tomato cucumber salad is a quick and easy side dish that goes with everything. It’s fresh, healthy, flavorful and vegan.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4
- 1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes. I used a combination of cherry and medium sized tomatoes.
- 1 large cucumber diced – about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 6 large basil leaves – minced
- 12 olives – roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of walnuts – broken up into small pieces
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic – finely minced
- 6 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- A pinch of salt
- Add diced tomatoes and cucumbers to a large bowl.
- Add minced basil, chopped olives and walnuts to the bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over tomato, cucumber mixture and toss to combine.