This is a fast and fresh spinach and green pea soup. It’s a wonderful bright green – I like to think of it as a precursor to spring. The green peas give the soup a slightly sweet taste and a dash of lemon and a sprinkle of parmesan at the end balances everything out. This soup, like most soups, is even better the next day and it doesn’t lose any of its fresh green taste.
I love how fast this soup is to make. From simmering the spinach and peas to pureeing – it’s 15 minutes top from start to finish. Have it with a grilled cheese sandwich and this would make a warm and comforting meal in no time at all.Print
Spinach and Green Pea Soup
A fresh and bright green soup. A precursor to spring!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 bag of fresh baby spinach – washed
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube if using water (not stock)
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- In a large stock pot, sauté spinach in olive oil until spinach is slightly wilted. Add minced garlic to spinach and continue sautéing until spinach is completely wilted.
- Add frozen peas, water or stock to pot. If using water add bouillon cube as well.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or with a hand blender, puree soup.
- Return to stock pot and add lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Stir till combined and serve.