After making agua fresca, I had plenty of watermelon left over so I decided to make a watermelon, feta and arugula salad. I don’t usually add fresh fruit to my salads – maybe some grapes or an apple – but watermelon? Who knew that combining sweet juicy watermelon with salty feta would create such a flavorful match? Add in some spicy arugula and you’ve got a wonderful, simple, tasty salad.
This is a cool, refreshing salad that’s perfect for a hot summer day. The combination of pink, white and green makes this an attractive salad and it’s really quick to make.
A couple of notes:
I used watermelon from a small, seedless watermelon. If you are using a big watermelon you’ll need to either remove the seeds or only use pieces of the watermelon that don’t have any seeds.
Before adding raw onion to a salad, soak the onion in a little bowl of water while you’re prepping the other ingredients. A friend just told me this and I can’t believe what a difference it makes to the salad – it eliminates the raw harsh onion taste. You can also add a little vinegar to the water but it worked fine with just water for me.
Recipe adapted from The Barefoot Contessa’s Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad recipe.
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 4 cups of arugula
- ⅓ cup diced feta cheese
- 2 tbs minced red onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 6 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- Cut one ½" slice of red onion and add to a small bowl of water to soak while preparing the other ingredients.
- Wash and dry arugula and add to a large bowl.
- Cut and cube the watermelon and add to the large bowl.
- Dice feta and add to the large bowl.
- Drain red onion and mince - should equal about 2 tbs - add to the large bowl.
- Whisk together 2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs white wine vinegar and black pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently.